- Choose a song that you like, something easy, maybe a lullaby.
- Sing the song every day to your unborn baby, your partner can sing along with you.
- When your baby is born sing the song, close to his/her ear. Your baby will recognise your voice and the song!
- Sing every day especially if your baby needs comforting, maybe when changing the nappy or bathing or if you are driving and your baby is in the car seat.
- As your baby gets a little older introduce books, choose books with lots of different colours and exciting pictures.
- Don’t just read the words, point out the different colours, shapes and pictures as you flip from page to page. A great book to read together is ‘The Flying Bath’ by Julia Donaldson, full of colourful, detailed and creative illustrations to inspire your child’s imagination.
- Narrate your life. Talking out loud to your baby helps them develop a vocabulary and learn communication skills. It might feel awkward talking to someone who can’t talk back, but talk to them about walking “up the stairs” or “mummy’s cooking dinner!”
- Point out what you see. This is especially fun whilst going for walks or when out shopping. Point out when you see interesting things (“daddy sees a doggy” or “now we’re getting into our car to go to the shops.”)
- Ask and answer questions. This is a habit you can get into early, and soon you’ll be speaking in Q&A. For example, “there’s a cat! What does a cat say? Cats say meow!” Or “What should we buy at the shop? Our family needs milk and bread.” Before you know it, you’ll ask a question and your baby will give you the answers.
- Smell the flowers and even look at the bugs! Remember that your baby sees the world from a different angle than you. Slow your pace and stop to notice ants, “itsy bitsy spiders,” different flowers, birds in the sky, airplanes going by. Soon they’ll be pointing these things out to you!
Your baby is constantly wiggling inside your belly right from conception but only from around 16 to 20 weeks can you start feeling those movements and what an exciting feeling it is!read more
2 min read