Tips to help sore nipples heal:
- Check positioning and attachment. Your baby should take a big mouthful of breast, with his tongue under your nipple
- Feeding frequently can help. A new baby needs to feed 8-12 times in a 24 hour period.
- Feed on the least sore side first, then when the milk is flowing, switch breasts.
- Avoid breast pads with plastic backing, which keeps nipples wet.
- Creams that need to be removed before breastfeeding should be avoided as extra rubbing may irritate nipple soreness